Thanks for joining the group, and welcome from your volunteer moderators. This advice also applies to Carlisle Freegle. Here are a few things you need to know:
- Keep it free, legal and appropriate for all ages.
- No loans, swaps or sales, please.
- Please use WANTED messages sparingly. People often ignore "desperate" or "urgent" messages.
- When offering, please wait for 24 hours before picking someone. That gives people who aren't online all the time a chance to reply. You don't have to give items to the first person to reply, and you might get another reply later that you prefer.
- Please don't use WANTED or OFFER messages to ask for information - and no spam!
- Please use our news feed for general discussion, eg recommendations for painters, tilers, car mechanics, etc.
- Be nice when posting or replying- no swearing, insults and the like.
- If you intend to sell goods on, please indicate this both in WANTED ads and in any replies you send to OFFERs. Both of these are legitimate uses of Freegle, but you must let people know.
- Animals, pets and software are not allowed. Please consider contacting Eden Animal Rescue, the RSPCA or Animal Rescuers. Alternatively for small animals check out Chinchillas4Life who have a base in Alston.
Further afield, Farplace Animal Rescue in County Durham may be able to take some animals.
- No vouchers or coupons, paid for tickets only are allowed to be offered.
- Medicine rules mean that it is not allowed to post ANY medicines, even medicines that can be sold over the counter.
- Please don't post to multiple groups at the same time. Wait a week to see if you get a response before posting to another group.
- Please wait for a week before offering or requesting an item again.
- If you are requesting items on behalf of a charity, please state the name of the charity. The group volunteers may ask confirm with the charity that you are a valid fund-raiser.
- Please read the main Freegle Terms, privacy page and disclaimer.
At the moment there is no "dropping off point" where items can be left to hand over. If you have any suggestions for where such a place might be, eg in Penrith, please let us know.
If you have any furniture or white goods that you no longer want and there are no takers on Freegle, please consider one of the reuse alternatives in Eden District eg offering your item to a charity shop or a local furniture reuse organisation who may be able to collect free of charge to sell on cheaply. Eden District Council offer a bulky waste collection service for a fee.
If you still cannot get rid of an unwanted item, please leave it out in the general waste for kerbside recycling, take to one of the Recycling centres in Eden or at the Flusco or Kirkby Stephen Household Waste Recycling Centres.
If you have any questions or need to contact the volunteer moderators, please send an email to email@example.com.
Chris, Elaine, Judith-Ann and Juliet
Penrith and Eden District Freegle Moderators